Saturday, May 21, 2011

A High School Musical But Not That One

Hey, I finally got around to working the the board book again! I finished the high school page. Really, there is not that much to it largely because I honestly cannot remember that much about it. Funny, huh? I do remember this much about high school...everything at that stage in life seemed terribly, terribly important at the time. Now, I can barely recall it. Like I said, funny.

But I do remember this much. I remember loving songs very, very much. I remember my 'happy place' was music. I would sit in my room with headphones on and listen and listen and listen. Paul McCartney had always been a big deal to me but he was not "mine". He really was my sister's. He had been a super big deal when she was in junior high school so I sort of 'glommed on' to him as not having any musical person to claim for my own. Then along comes my very own musical man, Elton. He was "mine" and he is still "mine". His music belongs to me. To my time. To my era. When I hear "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting", "Bennie and the Jets" especially if I am driving in my car, it takes me right back to high school. It always makes me feel good. It always makes me smile while also making me feel a little wistful.

I do remember getting my very own cat, Andy. He was my first cat since Bobby Jack, the cat I had when I was a very small child. He was my very own pet. Mom made me responsible for him. She said I had to do all of the tending to him and I did. I drove him to his very first vet appointment after school one day. I was just a young, little whipper snapper at that time. I remember being SO protective of him at the vet's office. I was a young 'mom' and had not raised a cat to adulthood before. I learned a thing or two with that boy. He was the worst behaved 'child' I ever had and I have had many 'children'. I learned the importance of a 'good raising' with him. He was a hellion. Being the young mother such as I was, I did not realize the importance of teaching him discipline. Rather I encouraged him to be a wild maniac. It was funny when he was little. It was not funny when he was big though.  People were afraid of him. He was one of those cats that would just about take your arm off if he did not like you. But I so loved him. I still do. Love lasts forever, doesn't it?

Another thing that sticks in my memory about high school was the country's bicentennial. I remember a lot of red, white and blue. And here is my little 70's vignette.


1 comment:

Linda Jacobs said...

You've really captured the feeling of that era! Love how colorful it is!