Tuesday, March 1, 2011

There Can Only Be One Conclusion

There can be only one conclusion and that is that I am weird! That is not a news flash. I have always known it. As they said in the Joy Luck Club, "must be born this way". I am so weird on so very many fronts that I do not even bother fitting in anymore. I bask in my weirdness and embrace it now that I am older. I earned these stripes after all. I paid for them. As I have said before, I watch a LOT of HGTV. If the television is on, it is 99.9% likely on that channel. I see a lot of these programs of people looking for houses. Those people are NEVER thinking what I am thinking. NEVER. For example, earlier a couple was looking for a house and the lady walked in and immediately bemoaned "OH, that light fixture is hideous!" Well, actually, the light fixture was lovely and even "en trend" as if that matters but honestly, who would care? I mean do light fixtures really matter when buying a house? Isn't that like the easiest fix next to painting? Which brings me to the next point. The couple then walked into a bedroom and the woman yells out "Oh, this paint is awful." Well, yeah, I agreed, it was awful but how easy is that to fix? It is like as easy as driving down to Home Depot and picking up a couple of gallons of whatever. Then, finally, the woman said she did not like the house because the bathroom was small and she and her husband could not fit into it at the same time. I am thinking to myself "Who the heck is going to try to fit in there at the same time???" I mean, I will wake up at whatever time I have to wake up in order to have a bathroom to myself. I mean I have shared hotel rooms with lots of people and never has it been an option to get into the bathroom with others. My complaint with this particular house was that it only had one bathroom and it was on the second floor. To me, that is a reason not to buy a place. That cannot be fixed without hiring an architect. Like I said, I am weird but that is okay.

3 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

This post made me laugh and reminded me of a comment I heard the realtor say to a prospective buyer of my mom's house about a month ago. I was downstairs and they were upstairs in my mom's room. Her bedroom set is over 60 years old and was the height of modernity back then. A month after she bought it, she hated it but never got a new one. It looks like it belongs in the Jetson's bedroom. Anyway, I heard the realtor say, "Well, you're not buying the furniture!" Cracked me up!

Cindy said...

Linda, that bedroom suit sounds interesting to me. I love that mid-century modern stuff. I bet your mom and myself would have been great friends!

Lisa said...

Ha! Those house hunters drive me nuts! (But I keep watching them--I'm a sucker for the hunt) When those people start gagging and retching at a perfectly nice house, declaring they will have to 'gut the kitchen" because it is not their style, I want to slap them! Seriously? And then there are the young newbies having a fit because their furniture will not fit--Get. New. Furniture, people! Buy furniture for the house, not a house for the furniture! Can you tell I watch a bit of HGTV myself? ;)