Monday, September 19, 2011

The Preacher Lady Preaches


See that lady in the picture? Yeah, that is me. She even has the prayer book out. She is probably studying it so she can preach it at someone. Recently, the editor of my writing told me that I have a tendency to be 'a little bit preachy, rather than a story teller'. Whatever he tells me, I am never insulted. He is always right. I knew he was right this time too. I told him about once a long time ago, I took an aptitude test that indicated the two professions that I had the best suited skills were 1. writer 2. preacher. So the preachiness rears its ugly head in my writing.

This is how it goes folks when you are a closet preacher. I do not overtly preach. I preach in my mind and in my writing. I will give you an example. I know I have mentioned here on this blog before that words can ruin a song for me regardless of how beautiful the tune is. If the words stink, I just cannot go there. There is a new song out by Adele that causes me to go off on a mental preaching tangent when it comes on the radio. It is called "Someone Like You". Often while I am driving in my car, I am preaching up a storm in my mind at poor, Adele. That girl!! Will someone get over to her house and slap her??

This song says:

I heard that you're settled down

That you found a girl and you're married now.
I heard that your dreams came true.
Guess she gave you things I didn't give to you.



Okay so poor old Adele's boyfriend dumped her for someone else and she is beating herself up for it. Stop it, Adele!!! What are you a masochist? Okay, the preaching is really about to begin on the next few lines.

I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited

But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it.
I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded
That for me it isn't over


Gee Adele! Grow a spine, girlfriend! Don't let him see you sweat. Get the heck out of there and go find someone new and NOT 'someone like you'. I mean he did dump you afterall, right? See how my preachiness goes? I get riled up about words. Seriously now, I have been fairly joking to this point but I really do believe that the words you listen to are the words you come to believe and live. Those are no good words and I will not listen to that kind of drivel. That comes on the radio, I switch it. Besides, Adele's voice gets on my nerves. ;) So it is along about here that I push in the Beatles cd. "She loves you. yeah. yeah. yeah". Yep, those are my kind of words!

2 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

Yes! Those Adele words are horrible! What are they telling young girls? That they can't live without a man? That's bull! Keep on preaching, girlfriend!

Lisa said...

Hilarious!! Although I do love me some Adele "Rolling in the Deep". Had to have a daily fix of that driving beat for a while. That, and the music video fascinates me. But, that's just me.