Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Rome Wasn't Built In a Day Nor Was She Art

This new craft I have found is right up my alley for a couple of reasons. I have a love for paper dolls that goes back to the beginning. Paper dolls were my niche. I have gotten so many hours of fun out of paper dolls; all kinds of them too from home made to punch out to Barbie to any other kind imaginable. They had lots of fun traits. I liked the portableness of them. I could have a doll hidden on me almost anywhere that I might be able to sneak out and get some play out of it. Plus, they allowed my imagination to run wild especially the home made ones. I could make her be anything I wanted her to be; make her look like anyone I wanted her to look like. Yes, it was tons of fun.

Guess what? It still is tons of fun. I am doing the same thing now that I did then in that I am building these little girls from scratch. They start out naked then, I make them a wardrobe finally ending up in an environment that I created. Loads of fun, really. Plus, the second reason this new craft is right up my alley is because I have been able to incorporate the loads of stencils I own from way back when I was stenciling anything that would be still. My house still bears the scars of some of my stenciling craze.

Even though this is loads of fun, it is not as easy as it might look. Well, it might be easy for you but I am not that crafty myself. I struggle but I have fun struggling. Making one of these she art girl's dresses is just like sewing a dress with a pattern that you design yourself. I am getting another one closer to the finished product but I still have several steps remaining. Here are the tasks I worked on tonight.

Assembling my girl's dress
 but it is not ready for her yet.
My poor girl is naked but she has her shoes on!
 Plus, she doesn't have a good head on her shoulders.
 Notice she doesn't tan where she doesn't have to. ;)


Filing through some stencils.
Yay, I can use them again!


 Maybe in the next post, my girl will have her head on straight and be dressed properly.

1 comment:

Linda Jacobs said...

Quite the process! I'm not sure I'd have the patience for it. Can't wait to see the rest of that dress!