Monday, May 21, 2012

Testimony from Long Ago

Do you ever stop to think about all of those who have come and gone on this ancient planet of ours? When you do stop to consider it, it makes us all seem so small and inconsequential. I love to find testimonial evidence of a life lived here long ago still standing and still appreciated by someone of today. It does not need to be anyone I knew of, read about or am related to because we are all sort of related in the family of man, aren't we? No one lives in a vacuum.

These windows were crafted by artisans long ago. These dyes cannot be created any longer. The recipes are lost. The ingredients can no longer be obtained. They are gone from this planet forever. However, the artisanship of someone who lived and breathed just like we do can still be appreciated on this day.

Over a hundred years ago, someone crafted this glass in Europe. Someone that got up and went to work each day trying to make a living for themselves and possibly a family created these precious pieces. Someone with worries and joys just like us. Someone that was loved. Someone that is now gone and remembered by no one. Still, this glass brings enjoyment to anyone that studies the intricate patterns and fine workmanship provided by someone that is now nameless and gone from this life. That is a beautiful thing to me.






On Friday, I was telling anyone that would listen to me how beautiful I think the peony is and complaining that this flower will not grow in this desert we live in here. Then, on Sunday, our church was filled with peonies! What are the odds? I cannot recall us ever having peonies in church before this Sunday. Someone in Heaven heard me. Yes, they did and I love them for it! Aren't they beautiful?







2 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

Love peonies! We used to have some in the yard where we raised our kids.

And that stained glass is stunning! I've always loved it.

We made it to Maine. It rained all day today! Tomorrow, I'll unpack and, hopefully, take a bike ride to the beach.

Cindy said...

Linda, I am glad you made it safe and sound! You are going to have a wonderful summer biking around your 'other' paradise!