Sunday, October 16, 2011

Repurposing Cat Litter Boxes

I have a problem with clutter. My kitchen table is too near the front door and I have a tendency to walk in and dump everything on it. It bothers me but I never stop doing it. Okay, the kitchen table is clean now. Nothing is on it except what is supposed to be there.

Second problem, I love magazines. Magazines can get out of control quickly. Yesterday, I looked down at this and had an idea! I like to repurpose. We use lots of this product around here so I needed to figure out a way to repurpose these boxes.

Admittedly, I could have done a much better job but this was sort of my prototype. Next time, and there will be a next time, the end result will be more "professional" shall we say.

 I made one of these type boxes we use at the library for magazines except mine is not that faux woodgrain stuff often found in the library archives. I tried to amp mine up a little bit. It is not great but it works. It serves its purpose.


I could have used a brayer to smooth out the sides a little but didn't. I am not so much into details, ya know? I think I am what is called a '30 thousand feet' person. My boss knows this trait about me. He knows I can fix almost any major issue but do not give me the job of looking for 33 cents because it will never get found. I would rather watch paint dry than mess with details. I could never be a cataloguer.


The magazines are organized and maybe Nigel cannot chew on them so easily. I put some of my little quilted cats by it to make it look better. Next time, I will finish out the inside of the box or maybe paint it even. There are lots of options. Try it if you have a problem with clutter like I do (did).

2 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

Such a cool idea! I used to have tons of magazines hanging around but finally stopped all my subscriptions. Although I just downloaded Oprah's to my iPad the other day!

Lisa said...

My construction weakness is that I am in such a hurry to see the finished product I slap it together and then bemoan the fact that it looks slapped together!