Friday, July 8, 2011

Fireworks All Around

I don't like to rant. I don't like to espouse my unsolicited opinions. But sometimes situations really get my goat! (By the way, why do I always use animal euphemisms?) How do people get on television as 'experts' in their field? Are any qualifications required? Must they submit a resume? Are their credentials verified?

I am referring to a program that I was casually listening to earlier as I was working on something else that required more of my attention. These 'legal experts' were bantering around the topic of presumption of innocence. One of these 'experts' that I had already and quickly developed a dislike for said "This is America! In America, we are innocent until proven guilty! This is NOT England where you are guilty until proven innocent!" Uh oh. I immediately looked up at the television so I could glare at this woman who made this statement  and I could forever identify her in my mind as someone that knows NOT what she is talking about. And I hate to say it but I was angry. I was angry that a person can get on television and spout untruths. Someone that might not know any better might have heard her say that and made the mistake of thinking that in England people are guilty until proven innocent. England has a much older civilization than we have here and most of these ideas that we have adopted along the way such as 'presumption of innocence' came from them. Anyway, I just had to get that out of my system. I just wish that before making a statement especially when many people are watching that people would research their subjects more thoroughly. (Like who was Paul Revere?) As I asked in the beginning, are NO credentials required in any field these days? Okay, rant over. 'Nuff said.

1 comment:

Linda Jacobs said...

Vent away! So much of what experts say on TV is hogwash. Love the pretty door on your creation!

Blog Archive