Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy July 4 and other things

I had to change the background of my blog as I found the pink too busy. I liked it for awhile but it got old very quickly. I would not describe myself as pink person. I would describe myself as a blue-green person or earthy colored person. I am more of a forest creature with a pulse on nature.

It is the 4th day of July yet my mind wanders to royalty. Perhaps that is natural. It is the day we achieved our Independence after all. I love my country. I love my ancestral country too. I have NO idea why I find such a fascination with British history yet there is no denying that I do. It is part of my DNA. I believe there are many aspects of ourselves that we have no control over because they are part of our DNA so to speak. For example, I hate eggs. I loathe eggs. Often depending on how my stomach is feeling, I cannot stand the smell of eggs. I must remove myself from an 'egg' situation. I learned by speaking to a friend of my father's family that this was a familial trait. I had no idea that is where this loathing of eggs originated. I mean I so badly hate eggs that I will often not eat a cake if I 'see' someone put an egg in it. That ruins it for me. Any good cake is going to have an egg or two or three. I can eat it if I am certain of the quality of those eggs but if there is any doubt, no, I cannot go there. So long story short, perhaps this fascination with all things British is another factor of my ancestry. I do know it is not anything I picked up from my mom. My mom had many interests while she was young but British history and British literature was not part of them.

Another reason I believe that I may have a fascination with royalty is that I can confine it in a picture and I have trouble envisioning large concepts. One such concept that I continually grapple with trying to get my hands around is the passage of time. Time is so very fleeting. We are here one moment, gone the next. Is this really life? Is life something that lasts a brief second in the vastness of all time? These royals were as big as life can get during their brief moment on planet Earth yet they are gone. They are dust. The sadness of life is that my beautiful Kate and Will are youthful now but tomorrow, their young lives will be past them. Such is the nature of life as I know it. That is with what I am continually reckoning. I will not reckon long though because in seconds it seems, it will all be over. I will be a memory for a short time, forgotten completely for a very long time. Is that life? I am not smart enough to know.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

The Duke and Duchess of York and baby Lilibet

1 comment:

Linda Jacobs said...

I like how you made Will and Kate look so old fashioned. And don't you just love the look between the two of them?!

Blog Archive