Sunday, July 10, 2011

Old Mother Westwind's Uncle Billy Possum Knock Off

Do you remember those Old Mother Westwind stories? I loved them as a kid. I still love them! I am kind of like an old mother westwind myself.. in a way... in a sense... if you think of me with your eyes squinted and maybe have had one or two drinks.

First, I have the 'old' thing down pat. I can claim that for my own without any qualms or hesitation. Check that one off.

Secondly, I am not a mother but I am an aunt. Okay, I will use that. Check that one off too.

As far as the wind is concerned, I used to work with an old, cantankerous man that insisted on calling me "Wendy" not "Cindy". Almost daily he would say "Wendy, I need to ask you something." and I would correct him with "Cindy" and he would always retort "Whatever". Okay, so I will go with Wendy or rather Windy.

Okay, that is my name, "Old Aunt Windy". And here is the character, Skanky Possum.


Skanky Possum


I realize the quality of the picture is very poor but it is amazing that I got a picture at all considering that it was dark and I only had my phone with me. I lightened it up using PSE.

It is one thing to feed cats but look, I am not going to start feeding every possum in the neighborhood. The profound thing that I was unable to capture in this picture is that Shoog, Petrie, Bella and Bodie were all just huddled up to the side in a tightly knitted pack staring at this skanky possum while he ate up all of their food. If I had yelled 'boo', they would have all jumped 6 feet off of the ground. I did manage to run off the possum unlike some times when they choose to sull and play dead. I know how to beat them at their own tricks though. When one of the possums chooses to use that sulling tactic, I just pick up all of the cat food and go back in the house. When they realize all of the food is gone, they suddenly awake from the "dead" and go back to the trees. And that my friends concludes this episode of possum hunting in the city.

2 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

I'm sitting here cracking up! Your tale is so funny. And the picture looks like a Monet painting. Very artsy...even if it is of a possum!

Lisa said...

Ohhhh, boy! You had me laughing all the way through!! Hilarious, Wendy, just hilarious!

Blog Archive