Thursday, August 18, 2011

One Cat At A Time


Sometimes people ask me why I do it. Last year, I had 17 cats in this neighborhood spayed/neutered. This year, fortunately, the numbers have been way down due to the diligent work of last year. I have only had 3 cats spayed/neutered this year but there will be at least one more, Little BooBoo. He is not old enough yet to have his surgery. He is glad about that too! Obviously, there is a breeding queen out there or Little BooBoo would not have cropped up in the first place. I have no idea who or where his mother is. I have been scouting. Obviously, he had a father as well. I have an idea about who he is and where to find him but he is elusive. I was so hoping to get out of the cat business. I keep telling people that I am getting out of the cat business. I am getting older and will not be able to do this forever. Someday maybe…


Back to the question, why do I do it?

Millions or billions of years ago (a long time) when the world was new and the dust settled and the mists receded something went drastically awry. At least, that is how I see it. See, I just cannot imagine a God that inflicts intentional pain. I just cannot. I have tried to imagine that and I cannot. Why create a perfect world and toss pain into the mixture? Masochistic? Could be but I do not think so. So someone or something broke one of the universal laws of creation and caused the train to leave the track. They drove us into the ditch. Something makes me think it was more than eating a piece of fruit too. However, I am admittedly pretty stupid. I understand saying it was a piece of fruit so I can comprehend that a law was broken by someone. But when Eve caused the wagon to lose a wheel by eating a piece of fruit or whatever she did, she also brought death into the world. Unfortunately, she brought death for everything in the world even to the innocents, even to those sweet creatures beyond sin, those beyond thought or comprehension. I do not know how that makes you feel but it makes me sad. Okay, I can take the sin and I can take the punishment because I am human and Eve was human. As her sister, I am willing to take the punishment with her and suffer pain in this world. But see, this sweet kitten here, Little BooBoo never hurt anyone. He never ate fruit nor did one of his ancestors. He never broke that law that set the universe off course that brought death upon us all. Yet, when I met this little innocent creature, he was suffering. He was thin. He was hungry. His eye was cut and swollen. He was a baby, an infant even and he was all alone in this world. Without analyzing it, I knew I could make one thing right. This world is messed up in so many ways but I could fix it for one creature, one innocent, one sweet soul. I could fix it by showing that animal what compassion from a human is.

So that is why I do it. I cannot fix this world. Oh, I wish I could. There is no telling what kind of mess I could get us into if I had a try at fixing things. However, I can show love to one little being that would otherwise never know any human kindness at all. It is small and insignificant. I will not win any Nobel Prizes for it but that is what I do, take pain away from the world one cat at a time.




1 comment:

Linda Jacobs said...

That's all any of us can do...one "cat" at a time. You are an inspiration!