Thursday, January 12, 2012

These Shoes

I love this girl wearing these shoes. I loved her before I knew her. In fact, I loved her years before she was even born.


She is the closest thing to a daughter that I will ever have. I say that without knowing how it feels to have a daughter so I could be all wrong in that assessment. Do you think people should comment on what they have never experienced? I do not think they should yet I do it.

I do know this much. I definitely love her. Memories of her travel across my mind like a strange mix of iridescent bubbles floating across an empty sky.

Peculiar what things form a memory.

Seeing her running to my car after school on a day when I got to pick her up.

Peeking through the blinds at her trying to learn to ride a bicycle and cringing when she falls.

Watching her nonchalant, easy way yet completely effective slamming of a volleyball across the net.

Watching her standing bravely and self assuredly deliver a stand up routine in front of a rowdy crowd of strangers with me looking on like an overly zealous bouncer eager to toss out anyone that did not laugh.

Would you wear these shoes on your wedding day? I so would!

1 comment:

Linda Jacobs said...

Beautiful descriptions of a loved one! Sorry, no, I would never wear those shoes. I never do high heels. Never. But they are gorgeous!