Friday, August 20, 2010

"C" stands for...

Hey, I made this in photoshop as per usual. What does "c" stand for? At the time, I was thinking "crown". Now, I am thinking "cat". I always wished my name was Catherine so people could call me Cat. I suppose people could call me Cat anyway but it would be kind of weird as it would not mean anything. I have a thing about cats...no big surprise there. I was watching a show the other night about some native tribes in Washington that believes their people to be shape-shifted from animals. For example, there is the tribe of the whale, the tribe of the eagle, the tribe of the bear, etc. All of their family names are prefixed with the native word for that animal. That is how they follow their heritage. They follow the family lines of the females in the tribe. I do not think there is any doubt that I would be from the tribe of the cat. Their legends are not a mere descendency from animals. There is more of a symbyology between the two. God gave the animal the choice to stay an animal or to be a man that fed off of the animal. It was a choice. It was an agreement between the two. Neither is more. Neither is less. There is a mutual respect. One agrees to give its life to be sustenance for the other. The hunters thank the animals for being food before taking their lives. I love that. I love the mutual respect the native people believe in. I love the respect they have for the gift of the planet. Before you scoff too much at what might seem a silly legend, think about how much thanking probably goes on at a slaughter house. Probably not that much, huh? A thought just occurred to me. I hope the "C" in my piece does not mean that I am from the pale face tribe of the "Captive Cow". Seriousness aside, I really like the way this picture turned out and "C" could stand for Cindy.

No comments:

Blog Archive