Sunday, August 8, 2010

One Step Up, Two Steps Back

Do you ever feel as if your life is shifting gears? Do you ever feel you have reached a new life level? Like you went from junior high to high school? Lately, I feel as if I have progressed to a new level. Just when I was congratulating myself on becoming a more highly evolved individual, I took a few steps back. It all happened today. It goes something like this.

I talk a lot about Nigel and Ollie. Claude and Henry do not get as much press here on this blog but only here. In real life, Claude gets mucho attention. I love him so much. He is 18 years old this year. He has not been well. He is really showing his age lately. He and I will be visiting his doctor tomorrow to see if there is anything we can do to make him fell better. His appetite has dropped off. I have been trying all kinds of things to peak his interest. On the flip side of things, Henry likes to eat. He has an extremely healthy appetite. He loves to check out what Claude might get. He loves to check it out in a very rowdy kind of way, I might add. However, I like for Claude to eat at his own pace, therefore, I have to patrol Henry while Claude is taking his own sweet time. Henry and I have been having skirmishes in the process. I am stressed about Claude's failing health. Plus, it is about 2000 degrees here. Both make my temper short. This is not a trait of a highly evolved creature, huh?  Henry is sweet, sweet, sweet. His personality is so loving and so forgiving and so happy-go-lucky. Even with a short temper, I hate to scold him. He always seems so hurt as if how can anyone deny something to someone so sweet and loving? He is right. How can I deny him? I really scolded him earlier today. He was in deep, hot water for eating all of Claude's food. Henry's feelings were very badly hurt. He hid under the dresser. I felt so sad for him. He trusts me to love him yet I hurt him. I drug him out from under the dresser and made him play me. In no time, he was purring and playing just like his sweet little self does. This only made me feel worse. I must always remember to treat him as if he is made out of glass. Lesson learned.

Reminder to Self

No comments:

Blog Archive