Sunday, November 21, 2010

Anne of Prince Edward Island

As a child, I loved the book Anne of Green Gables. I would pour over that book re-reading passages of it because I was so in love with the place she lived. She lived in a beautiful, seemingly fairyland yet it was a real place. The setting for the book was Prince Edward Island. I would pretend that I lived in the fairyland, Prince Edward Island. Fast forward many years later. I had a manager who really was from Prince Edward Island. He had left Canada to find fame and fortune. He had found neither when I knew him. He was very nice always taking us out to fun events like hockey games, baseball games, nature centers. His family owned a maple syrup farm back on PEI. I could not imagine that he left such a place. He told me all about the syrup farm. The place they made the syrup was called the sugar shack. He would bring the homemade maple syrup back to us after visiting. It was very tastey! This piece I made reminds me of PEI somehow. It seems to be Anne lying in a hammock on PEI. At least this is what I saw in my mind's eye all those years ago.

1 comment:

Linda Jacobs said...

I love Anne, too! I've got a journal that has beautiful illustrations and quotes from the book. I even read part of the book to Kylie and she loved it, too. Beautiful piece!

Blog Archive