Monday, April 25, 2011

Is Your Home Where Your Heart Is?

I have many friends that did not grow up in the towns they live in as adults. That is the nature of living in an area that is growing. Therefore, this topic gets discussed quite often "Where do you feel at home?". One of my closest friends grew up out of state. She misses her home terribly and returns there frequently as she still has many friends there. I envy her for that. I do not feel at home anywhere that I have ever lived. Does that mean my heart is not in any of those places? I suppose I have never bonded. The places I lived in as a child are in the distant past. It is too late for me to go back to those places. They are not as I remember. The river of time has flowed through them turning, changing, even removing the things I remember.

I love my house structure. I definitely feel home inside of my house but if it was picked up and put somewhere else, I would be okay with that. I often think of moving to places more suitable for me such as a place that is cooler with more hiking trails, where people like to be green, where they drive green cars and build eco-friendly houses. Those are the things I love. Yet, I have been to a place that felt like home to me immediately. It is not even in my state or even in my country. It is London. London is not green. London does not have hiking trails. It has something even better. Key lock parks! It has museums on almost every corner! It has subway. It has trains. It has history. Will I ever live there? Probably not but who knows? Life has a way of throwing odd twists and turns. Even though it is not probable, it could happen so I am not discounting it.

A wedding will be in London this week that may seem like a lot of silly hype to many people. Maybe it is but maybe it is not. Pomp and circumstance are what these people excel in and do like none other. These people understand how to put on a show. It may seem silly to some but this is their history that has been in motion for thousands of years. People will be looking at Kate Middleton's wedding dress 300, 400 years from now if the world lasts that long. In modern times, English history and ceremony are their exports. It is quite awe inspiring actually because England is such a small island. It in no way compares to the size of Texas but the people of this small island have historically conquered the world during certain periods of history. Their history is magnificent and has been preserved from times before Christ. It is ancient. In case you have not noticed, I have an appreciation for it. One could say, my heart is there.

2 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

Before I visited England, I had no thoughts about it one way or the other. Afterwards, though, I was in love! There wasn't anything I didn't like. Even the food was great!

Cindy said...

Linda, I think I was born with a compass inside of me pointing to England. I would have swam to there if I could not have found any other way.

Blog Archive