Saturday, April 30, 2011

Listen to the Mockingbird, Shoog

The mockingbird is the state bird for Texas.That must be why I have beaucoups of mockingbirds nesting in my yard. Also, there resides a faction of blue jays camping out in my yard. Mockingbirds and blue jays are very similar in their attitudes. When I go outside, both groups  kick up a fuss. I am sure they are worried that I will interfere with their family raising. Of course, I won't. I am their benefactor but they do not realize that. What they really need to be worried about is Mr. Shoog. I see him stalking them constantly. I see mockingbirds making dives at him which send him running for the porch to take cover. It would almost look like a ballet if it was set to music. One day I may turn on the "Flight of the Bumblebee" while watching him out the window. It would be so funny to watch their shenanigans. Remember in those old 3 Stooges shows, they used to call each other "bird brain" in an attempt to insult each other? In my observation, bird brain is not an insult. This mockingbird protecting her nest seems to have a brain capacity that would rival Einstein's. I see her playing all kinds of tricks on Shoog and he falls for them every single time.

2 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

Birds are so smart! My daughter had a cockateil when she was in high school and he was a genius!

Love the olive colored background!

Linda Jacobs said...

BTW, I love the new look to your blog!

Blog Archive