Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Girl Can Dream in Green and Blue

I like to clip pictures from magazines and sales papers of home decor that I love. The reason I like to do this is primarily because I have bought expensive items in the past that I soon regretted purchasing when I remembered something that I had seen in the past that I initially wished to purchase. Yet, I have been stuck with those expensive purchases for years! So now, I have a folder of odds and ends that I review from time to time when I am planning to purchase something just to make sure that I have not 'shopped' that item already.

This year, I am planning to buy zero items...none, zilch, nada but I can still 'shop' for my folder. I do have plans but just not for purchasing. I have plans to declutter, rid, scrub and throw out. The older I get, the less I want and the less I need. I wish to live in fairly sparse surroundings. Clutter seems to impair my creative process. I need all of the creative forces I can muster this year. This year I am all about shifting gears, moving on and making progress.

I love my house. It is an English Tudor. I love the outside of it. English Tudor is beautiful. However, it is not my style anymore. It was my style once. I love many styles but only one is my style. My style is contemporary now. I should live in a loft. Maybe someday I will. Maybe I will not. Only time will tell. I have considered modernizing my inside decor to look 'loft-like' but it is not suitable to this house. I feel the inside of a house should reflect what the outside decor is. An English Tudor should look, well, English inside if not Tudoresque then perhaps cottagey...not loft-like. Those are my thoughts anyway. I do have plans to eventually sell this house. At that time, I am not sure what I will do. I will not stay here. I will definitely move to another city, very possibly another state and eventually, perhaps another country. Again, only time will tell. However, as long as I have these kittens, well, I will most likely be in this country. I cannot give my kittens up for any ambitions. Love runs too deeply. I will reconcile myself to visiting other places I love.

Until then, a girl can dream. I will maintain my folder of scrap magazine pages, sales papers, paint swatches and fabric swatches. I will peruse it from time to time to see if my tastes have changed. I will find new pictures to add to it. I will use some of the pictures to make pieces like this one. I think this is a wonderful use for this type material. I happen to know a beautiful girl that has the purple leather sofa, green and yellow chairs shown here and I LOVE it.  I learned some things about my tastes while putting this together. I notice there is a lot of GREEN here. More green is coming into my world and more BLUE is leaving my world. I notice other things while looking through the folder. I seem to love birds particularly owls.  Funny how we change over time, isn't it? Have you ever noticed how much your hand writing has changed through out the years? That is a side effect of growing. That would make an interesting post. I will save it for another day.

No comments:

Blog Archive