Thursday, June 16, 2011

Listen Up Sports Fans!

Around here, we are sports fans. Long ago, some kind of professional sporting event could hardly garner any of my attention. I had bigger fish to fry as they say. Who are they anyway? You know, those that say 'bigger fish to fry'? I digress. Who are 'they' is neither here nor there, back to the subject at hand, sports.

My history with sports began back in the glacial age. I was only a toddler when the woolly mammoth still roamed the earth. That is probably why to this day, I have issues with 'heat'. It is a difficult transition tolerating the 100 degree weather that I live in today having been born in an igloo during subzero temperatures. Most likely my love for felines came from having a pet Sabre-tooth tiger as a small child. Again, I digress. The point of all of this background information is that I am old. K? I just do not want anyone to laugh at this ancient picture of one of my early favorite sports teams.


Ancient Texas Rangers
 This picture was taken back when they threw a boulder instead of a ball. As you can see though, they are posing for pictures.

The next type sport that I developed an interest in was football. I 'had' to develop an interest in football. It was either that or be an outcast in my family. Back in the days when my family was young, they all "lived and breathed" football. Pretty much, they still do. The biggest fan passed away last year though so now when the subject of football comes up, as it often does, a long shadow falls. Even so I have very happy memories of being at the game where Emmitt Smith became the Cowboys leading all time rusher and it wasn't just because it was my birthday. I do love that team..not so crazy about the owner though. I wish I had a picture to insert here but I do not. Next year, right?

Almost simultaneously I developed a passion for hockey and basketball. I love these games!! I love the speed with which they are played. You cannot take your eyes off of the ice while watching hockey or you might get hit by a puck. It can be dangerous for the fans as well as the players.

Maybe because they play in the same venue but I also developed a passion for basketball which is another fast game. Seeing the professionals play whether it is football, hockey, basketball or baseball is awesome. It is a thrill and I love it.

All this to say, my basketball team is pretty awesome and I am very proud of them. Go Mavs!


My sister and niece at Mavs parade

Dirk and Kidd at Convention Center



2 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

Cool pictures! I, too, am a sports fan although for different teams! Can't get enough of my Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, and, of course, those Bruin champions. My brother got me hooked when we were kids.

Cindy said...

Linda, I am proud for your Bruins. I always love to see an American team beat a Canadian team because those Canadians are so darned good!! I love other teams too. I like the Phoenix Suns because of Steve Nash. In the football arena, I like the Seattle Seahawks too.

Blog Archive