Thursday, December 1, 2011

Jake's Window and Jukebox

My little boy is growing up. It is time for his neutering. I say that in a soft, low voice as not to scare him. However, he does not know what a neutering is. I dread it however. It frightens me because I know they will have to sedate him. His little body is so small. It just takes a wee amount of medicine to knock one down of that weight. He will not have to be under for long fortunately. The surgery will be done in a matter of minutes almost seconds. Another reason I dread it is because he will be frightened.


I wish little boy could stay little and we did not have to do this but time marches on. Marches? Why do they say time marches? Some people say time rolls like a river. I envision time as a circle spinning around like a vinyl record on one of those old record players. The record has bumps, dings and scratches in its surface. When we come back around, we keep feeling the same bumps and scratches. Those are the times you are reminded of something but you do not know why. Why do I keep thinking of the mall when I was 16 years old? Am I traveling over that area of ‘my record’ again? Only God knows things like that. The Creator of it all. We know nothing and are incapable of understanding, therefore, we must trust. We see through a glass darkly.

Do you ever feel like some doors were just never open for you? Like no matter how hard you tried to accomplish a thing, it was always impossible for you to reach that goal? It just wasn’t playing on your ‘record player’. Like in a dream, you ran, ran, ran never gaining on that thing or you caught it in your hand but it crumbled? I used to have a friend that told me all that kind of talk was codswallop. He said you can do anything you put your mind to doing if you want it badly enough. I said “Really? I want to be a Super Bowl quarterback. What do you say to that? I am going to really put my mind to it too!” That song is definitely not playing on my record player. By the way, I was also lying. I do not really want to be a Super Bowl quarterback.

Unless there is an unseen pothole looming up ahead in the road, “The Neutering Song” is the next tune about to drop down in Jacob’s jukebox.


1 comment:

Linda Jacobs said...

Oh, poor thing. Hope he recovers quickly!

I like your metaphor comparing life to an old record. It makes sense. Hmmm....I'm thinking there's a poem in there!