Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Yes, I Am in Love!

I am in love…again. This time I am in love with Siku which means ice sea in Inuit, this five week old polar bear cub.



No, I do not advocate average, ordinary citizens owning wild animals in their homes. In fact, I am adamantly opposed to it. However, there are many species of animals that would not exist any longer on this planet if not for their presence in a zoo setting.


As I have said so many times here, it is my belief that all life is precious not just human life. Can you create a polar bear? Only God can create a polar bear and God must have a good reason for it. Every day I give thanks to God for creating cats so I could love them. I had no room in the inn when little Jacob appeared on the scene but I am so happy that he appeared! Yesterday, my mother expressed the same sentiment. She said “I am glad little Jake came up on your patio.” She knows he is good for me and that I have received hours of joy out of that little scamp.

There are only an estimated 20,000 to 25,000 polar bears remaining in the wild. The melting polar ice caps have severely cut into their hunting grounds which are threatening their existence. One of my new year’s resolutions will be to continue to reduce my carbon footprint and use less energy on behalf of Siku and others like him. I want future inhabitants of this planet to know how beautiful polar bears are not how beautiful they once were.

1 comment:

Linda Jacobs said...

I've fallen in love with Siku, too! I like your resolution!