Friday, December 23, 2011

Run, Run Rudolph Before I Chase You

Probably everyone is well aware that music seems to set the tempo of my life. On most days, I listen to music for hours on end and if not, then, probably at least an hour those other days. I think you know where I am going with this. Christmas music. But before I get to that, there is something I need to get off my chest.



There is a Volkswagen commercial that plays the song “Rocket Man” by Elton John. It shows bunches of people wrecking the words to that song. Can I share with you that this really bothers me? That song is completely beautiful. Always has been. Always will be. Plus, it is not difficult to understand. EJ clearly sings “Burning out his fuse up here alone.” Now, I do admit I am a bit defensive when it comes to EJ because he can do no wrong in my mind. Okay, I vented. ‘Nuff said.


Christmas music. I love most of it. Notice I say ‘most’? There are some songs that grate on my nerves so badly that I cannot listen to them for a single, solitary second. My all time worst Christmas song if it really is a song at all in the strictest sense of the word is “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer”. And again, someone has turned that train wreck into a commercial! Enough already!! Please stop the pain!


Have you ever heard the song “Run, Run Rudolph” by Check Berry. I can listen to Chuck’s version without too much discomfort but it does make me laugh. There is a version by Brian Adams that I cannot listen to because my laughing goes so out of control. He has changed the lyrics just enough to wig me out. You know when Chuck says “run, run, Rudolph whizzing like a shooting star”? Brian changes that to ‘run, run Rudolph whizzing like a rock star”. I can’t quit laughing. The image of Ozzy Osbourne whizzing on the Alamo comes immediately to mind! I know it is crazy nuts but I do not like the idea of Rudolph whizzing. Couldn’t they have said flying?


Just annoying is “Santa Baby” by anyone but most particularly Madonna.


Finally, I love the song “Last Christmas” by George Michael. Admittedly, George has his demons. He needs to deal with those but the man can really sing. I mean ‘really’ sing. I used to see him and his partner, Kenny quite often. Kenny still lives here. George does not. I might add that Kenny is super easy on the eyes too. I do not like to hear “Last Christmas” by anyone other than George most particularly young female country stars.


Am I officially Scrooge now? Probably. I am signing off for now while humming “Run, run Rudolph whizzing all over the place.”

1 comment:

Linda Jacobs said...

This post made me laugh. I'm not overly crazy about Christmas songs especially when they are played over and over on the radio. I get burned out very quickly. My favorites this year were the three Kylie sang to me last night. They were the ones her kindergarten class did for the concert. "Dreidel, Dreidel" & "Twinkle Twinkle Christmas Star" & "He"ll Be Coming Down the Chimney"