Friday, February 19, 2010

The Dauphine

Another historical post...history is only a hobby for me. When I can marry history to these little creations, it becomes particularly quite fun. Marie Antoinette is a tragic figure in my mind much like Mary Queen of Scots. I will do a post on the Queen Mary Stuart another day. Marie Antoinette was Austrian and not French. She was never embraced by the French people because of that fact even disregarding her 'spending problem'. That only served to exacerbate the dislike the people she ruled had for her. She and the dauphin were not the only people of that time period living more opulently than they could afford. Despite her flaws, Marie did much to glamourize French couture which is still a lasting legacy. To me, France and couture go hand in hand much like France and champagne. Marie was the beginning of that notion.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

The famous quote "Let them eat cake" is attributed to her in error.

Cindy said...

Lisa, I love that about librarians! They know stuff! Unfortunately, there are many misquotes and misrecordings in history. Yet fortunately, there is still enough that is factual for us to glean some parts of that shapeshifting, ethereal 'truth'. I have a feeling we could have lots of run talking about history.

Cindy said...

Lots of 'fun' not 'run', I meant to type.

Blog Archive