Friday, June 11, 2010

Summer wonderings and mockingbirds

Summer is here. I think summer is here although it is not here according to the calendar. Yes siree, summer is here. I can tell by the way I feel. Hot. Tired. Drained. I do a lot of wondering. I wonder why I was not born in Alaska or at least Montana. Is there a reason I was born here or was it just a shot in the dark, the luck of the draw, roll of the dice? I know what you are thinking. Too much Vegas, right? But back to my wonderings, would my life have been dramatically different if I had been born in Alaska other than I would have been much cooler and I do not mean cooler in the hip kind of way? I will never know the answers to these questions in this life but still I wonder. Wondering is my nature. Speaking of nature, oh hey, cat story! Well you see, Sugar Plum (or Shoog as I call him) and I were sitting outside. He likes to sit beside me and lay his head on my lap. He is good like that. He got down to get a drink of water then returned to sit by my chair when suddenly, down swoops a mockingbird aiming right at my Shoog! Shoog turned around and looked at that bird like "What the fudge?" Then, Shoog looked at me as if he was asking "What should I do?" and I said "Don't you worry, kitten, I will tear that bird to shreds if he hurts my boy!" Mockingbirds are bullies. They may be bullies but I am a grizzly bear. She kept swooping at my Shoog only really hitting him one time. After introspection, I decided she must have a nest close by and was worried about the feline variety being so near to her young as she seemed to have no interest in me (bear though I am) whatsoever. So Shoog and I relocated our chair further away and the bird left him alone. We got settled down again. Shoog looked up at me with what seemed to be a smile on his face. He seemed to know I was protecting him and was appreciative of it. Like I said, Shoog is good like that.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

When do we get to see Shoog?