Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Taupe walks away

My favorite flower is the lily. There are many varieties of lilies. It is possible to have a blooming garden year round if you plant lilies. There is a lily that will bloom every month of the year. Lilies can be toxic to animals that might eat the greenery. That is their only down side. Otherwise, there is no downside. Their fragance is intoxicating. My favorite lily is the surprise lily that is a pale blush pink. Those are asian rubrum lilies in my artwork. Another favorite of mine is the brilliant orange and deep red tiger lily. As a child, I was terrified of the red spider lily but now I love their cheery faces. My least favorite lily is the white calla lily but even it is pretty. I suppose I do not particularly like white flowers because white used to be the color of mourning. Widows used to dress all in white in medieval Europe. Mary, Queen of Scots and Queen Victoria both made daring fashion choices when they chose white for their wedding dresses as white was the color of mourning during both of their lifetimes. Queen Victoria had a lovely piece of lace that she wished to add to her wedding dress which might be the reason she chose the color white for the dress itself as to showcase the lace. I added lace to this art piece but lace is not my style. Lace is not something I would decorate with or wear on my clothing. I am not a lacey girl. I am not a ruffle girl. I am a simple lines girl. During the 80's, I wore so much taupe that it became my signature color. I loved taupe. I could not get enough of taupe. I had taupe silk blouses. I had taupe satin blouses. I had taupe linen skirts. I had taupe wool pants. I had taupe high heels of every variety...pumps, sandals, slings, you name it. I had taupe hand bags. I had taupe pearl jewelry overflowing my jewelry box. I loved taupe especially paired with black. Taupe matched the hair color I had at that time. I even had a taupe car but I believe Mazda called it champagne. It seems funny to say but I rarely wear taupe anymore, in fact, probably never. It no longer matches my hair color but that is not why I do not wear it. You know, I cannot recall ever thinking I was going to wear less taupe. It was just a natural transition slowly leaving my wardrobe. Slowly, taupe crept softly out of the closet door and I never even said good bye. Now, I need more color in my life. That is why I do not wear taupe now. My favorite color to wear is blue now. But this is absolutely something I would have worn then.

2 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

I'm a red person. I need vibrant colors. I love earth tones but they don't like me. I wish I had a body like the woman in your piece!

Lisa said...

Funny, the color cycles we go through. I went through a purple/teal phase. It was a good combo for me. And like your taupe, black has somehow crept slowly INTO my closet. I suddenly have more black pieces than usual! I'm working to rectify that and brighten things back up.