Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Day Is Done

This summer is WONDERFUL with its daily deluge of cool, drenching rain. What a welcome disparity from summers past! I so enjoy my nightly respites with Sugar Plum. I think we both look forward to these times. I cannot believe the green of July! Normally by this time of the year, brown is the color of the day but not this year. I took some photos yesterday to commemorate this green year. I even found a bounty of mushrooms!
 I am so thankful for this gentle summer. Last night as I spent time with Shoog, the mists rose from the hot ground to create a scene from a mystery novel as the fog softly rose around the street lamps on the street. I was reminded of a poem by  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow called "The Day is Done".


The day is done, and the darkness
Falls from the wings of Night,
As a feather is wafted downward
From an eagle in his flight.
I see the lights of the village
Gleam through the rain and the mist,
And a feeling of sadness comes o'er me
That my soul cannot resist:
A feeling of sadness and longing,
That is not akin to pain,
And resembles sorrow only
As the mist resembles the rain.



No comments:

Blog Archive