Wednesday, July 14, 2010

While Disecting a Screenplay, I Found a Bird

Previously on this blog, I have mentioned that at one time I had a burning desire to be a screenplay writer. That desire morphed into something else but that is a future post. Well...earlier I was watching the old 1963 Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds".  When I was young, that movie used to scare the bejeepers out of me. Then, I remember at some later point in time, I saw it and thought it seemed stupid. Oddly enough now, I am beginning to relate to it. As you know, the movie is about the birds being hacked off because mankind is abusing the planet. As with any good screenplay, book or short story, there are subplots going on at the same time. There is the relationship between the mother and the son. There is the relationship with the former girlfriend and the new girlfriend. These things serve to muddy the waters. But still, the main thing the movie is about is that the birds are angry because of planet abuse. (Man, would they be p.o.ed now!) Alfred Hitchcock must have been a forward thinker. I mean planet abuse in 1963 was not nearly as bad as it is right now. Then, at one point in the movie, a narrow minded type man runs into the cafe and yells someone should shoot all of the birds. Isn't that always someone's solution? Kill them all? Have you ever noticed that the ones yelling the loudest are often the ones who realize they cannot back up their arguments with facts? I couldn't help but laugh at something I had never noticed before in the movie even though I have seen it numerous times. The waitress was at a table with a mother and three small children when she yells to the cook "Where are those Bloody Marys?!" I guess those kids must need a drink to settle their nerves. At least they ordered Bloody Marys which would contain some amount of juice, right? It could have been worse. They could have ordered Boiler Makers.

Changing the subject, there was something in the fireplace last night that kept Nigel very busy ALL.NIGHT.LONG. I did not think he would ever give up with the hunting and this morning, instead of being a red and white kitten, he was a red and black kitten. I tried to give him a little washing but that went over like a lead balloon. I should have made something with a cat or bird to post here but I did not. You can always count on me to take the other road.

1 comment:

Linda Jacobs said...

I like the purple centers in the flowers and the bubbles in the upper left!

Love your Nigel story, too!

Blog Archive